Quick Links

Daily Readings

Daily Scripture Readings, Troparion and Kontakion

Read More

Holy Fathers

Selected quotes and teachings of the Holy Fathers

Read More

Saints

Learn about the lives of the saints of the Orthodox Church

Read More

Menologion



Daily Reading:

Thursday

LITURGY

Romans 15:17-29

I have therefore whereof I may glory through Jesus Christ in those things which pertain to God. For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed, Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ. Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation: But as it is written, To whom he was not spoken of, they shall see: and they that have not heard shall understand. For which cause also I have been much hindered from coming to you. But now having no more place in these parts, and having a great desire these many years to come unto you; Whensoever I take my journey into Spain, I will come to you: for I trust to see you in my journey, and to be brought on my way thitherward by you, if first I be somewhat filled with your company. But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints. For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem. It hath pleased them verily; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things. When therefore I have performed this, and have sealed to them this fruit, I will come by you into Spain. And I am sure that, when I come unto you, I shall come in the fulness of the blessing of the gospel of Christ.

Matthew 12:46-13:3

While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him. Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee. But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother. The same day went Jesus out of the house, and sat by the sea side. And great multitudes were gathered together unto him, so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore. And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;

+ + +

APPEARANCE OF THE ICON OF THE MOTHER OF GOD OF TICHVIN
ST DAVID OF THESSALONICA
ST BRANNOCK OF BRAUNTON

Troparion of the Icon Tone 4
Thine Icon, O Mother of God, shines from heaven like a brilliant sun./ It illumines the world with rays of mercy which we reverently receive as God's gift./ We glorify thee as Queen of all,/ and magnify Christ our God Whom thou didst bear./ Pray to Christ, O Mother of God our Lady and Queen,/ to keep all Christians unharmed by the enemy./ Save those who faithfully venerate His Image and thy pure Icon, O Virgin.

Troparion of St David of Thessalonica Tone 5
O David,/ thy love for God the Word gave thee wings/ and thou didst live an angelic life in a tree./ Thou didst produce for us fruits of grace/ and we partake of them spiritually,/ crying to thee with faith:/ Pray for us to Christ our God to grant us His great mercy.

Troparion of St Brannock of Braunton Tone l
Righteous tutor of the children of Brychan and great wonderworker, O Father Brannock,/ thou didst win many souls for Christ by thy tireless endeavours./ As Braunton's church may yet hold thy precious relics,/ pray that we, being ever mindful of our Orthodox heritage,/ may never deviate from the true Faith,/ and, thereby, receive the reward of the blest.

Kontakion of the Icon Tone 8
Let us thank Christ our God, and run to the Virgin and Queen His Mother; / tenderly gazing on her miraculous icon let us fall down and cry:/ Thou hast visited this land by the appearance of thine icon:/ keep our people in peace and make them heirs of heaven;/ for we cry with faith: Rejoice, O Virgin, salvation of the world.

Kontakion of St David of Thessalonica Tone 2
We bless thee, O David, servant of God;/ thou art like the Angels and estranged from things earthly./ Thou dost now rejoice in divine gifts:/ grant us to share in them also,/ O holy and righteous Father.

Comments